Imprimer

Société des Missions Africaines –Province d'Irlande

McCAULYE Daniel né le 7 septembre 1915 à Lisdoo, Urney
dans le diocèse de Derry, Irlande
membre de la SMA le 1er juillet 1941
prêtre le 17 décembre 1944
décédé le 19 octobre 1990

1946-1972 missionnaire au Nigeria, diocèse de Ondo
1971-1974 Strabane, malade
1974-1977 au service du diocèse de Raphoe
1977-1979 Strabane, malade
1979-1985 Dromantine, retiré
1985-1990 Strabane, retiré

décédé à Strabane, Irlande, le 19 octobre 1990,
à l'âge de 75 ans


Father Daniel Joseph McCAULEY (1915 - 1990)

Daniel McCauley was born at Lisdoo, Urney, Strabane, Co Tyrone, in the diocese of Derry, on 7 September 1915. He died in Strabane hospital, Co Tyrone, on 19 October 1990.

Daniel (Dan) received his secondary education at St. Columb's college, Derry. He was the eldest in his family and his father was in poor health, so Dan took over the management of the family farm. After three years circumstances afforded him the opportunity to follow his chosen vocation of priesthood. Accordingly, Dan entered Mungret college, Co Limerick, in 1937 with a view to joining the Australian mission. Two years later, having completed his philosophy, he chose to become a missionary priest in Africa and entered the S.M.A. novitiate at Kilcolgan, Co Galway just before the outbreak of the war. Two years later, in 1941, he commenced his theological studies in the Society's seminary at Dromantine, Co Down. Dan was received as a member of the Society on 1 July 1941. He was ordained a priest, along with sixteen colleagues, at St. Colman's cathedral, Newry, on 17 December 1944. The ordaining prelate was Bishop Eugene O'Doherty of Dromore diocese who had been Dan's professor of Latin at St. Columb's college.

After his ordination Dan was appointed to Nigeria, to the vicariate of Ondo-Ilorin. This jurisdiction had been erected on 9 May 1943, through a division of the vicariate of the Bight of Benin. Thomas Hughes was appointed bishop, and the seat of the vicariate was located in the town of Akure. Dan was to minister in this territory, which in 1950 became the diocese of Ondo, until 1972 when he was invalided home. Because of the world war Dan's departure for Africa was delayed until March 1946. He commenced his missionary labours in the town of Ushi, where he was to spent a total of 17 years. Ushi mission had been founded in 1926, under the patronage of St. Joseph. Martin Kenny was superior when Dan took up his post, and together they ministered to a catholic community of some 6,000 members and almost 1,000 catechumens, spread out over the district's central station (Ushi) and its 48 secondary stations.

Dan spent the whole of his first tour of duty in Ushi, returning to Ireland on home leave in November 1949. Back in the newly-erected diocese of Ondo a year later, Dan was re-appointed to Ushi, where a third priest (Luke Carney) had also been posted. Dan went on his second home leave in December 1954. On his return, in November 1955, he was assigned as parish priest of Okitipupa, with Edward Casey as his assistant. St. John's parish, Okitipupa had been founded a year earlier, although there had been a mission station there since 1926. It was a vibrant parish with some 24 outstations and a young, growing, catholic community. In 1953 Dan returned to Ushi as parish priest, remaining there until he next went on leave in April 1959. Dan continued on at Ushi when he returned to Nigeria in December of the same year.

Dan was to serve in the diocese for a further twelve years. During this time he was closely associated with Oro, Osi, Eruku, Ayedun, Ekan, Aran-Orin and Itale - all in the south of Kwara State. He also served in Akure, the headquarters of the diocese. Dan was a big strong man physically and this was equalled by his enthusiasm for missionary work. His activities included the sacramental and pastoral duties of a parish priest, also the managing of mission schools, and finally the building of schools, churches, mission residences and other vital institutions. Most of Dan's buildings are still in use - he built some 20 churches, the nurses home at Ado-Ekiti hospital, the diocesan seminary at Akure, and countless schools and clinics. His natural flair for building was supplemented by learned technical skills of a high calibre. He is on record as saying that the church which gave him the greatest satisfaction was the one he built at Owo in 1971; while his most formidable challenge was building the nurses home at Ado-Ekiti in 1964-65.

Shortly after he welcomed his nephew to Nigeria (Dan M. McCauley S.M.A.) in September 1971, Dan fell ill. He returned to Ireland in the following May. During his convalescence he helped out at week-ends in Derry diocese. Then in 1974 he was able to take up an appointment in Raphoe diocese, ministering in Drumkeen parish, Ballybofey, Co Donegal (only 7 miles from his home and where the parochial house had been built by his grandfather in 1886) until he was again invalided in February 1977. In 1979, after two years with his family, Dan retired to Dromantine, returning to Strabane in 1985 to live with his family. A year later he entered St. Mary's nursing home, The Colman Fold, Melmount Rose Rd., Strabane (near his home), where he had a flat. Dan's funeral Mass took place in St. Columba's church, Doneyloop parish.

He is buried beside St. Columba's church, in Doneyloop cemetery, Castlefin, Co Donegal.