Imprimer

Société des Missions Africaines –Province d'Irlande

SCULLY Michael né le 3 avril 1900 à Derrybrien
dans le diocèse de Clonfert, Irlande
membre de la SMA le 22 décembre 1922
prêtre le 23 mai 1926
décédé le 13 mai 1959

1926-1930 Wilton, professeur
1930-1931 missionnaire au Nord Nigeria
1932-1937 Wilton, professeur
1937-1940 missionnaire au Ghana
collège Saint-Augustin, professeur
1942-1947 missionnaire en Egypte
1947-1949 Wilton, professeur et vice supérieur
1949-1957 missionnaire au Nigeria

décédé à Ballinamore, Irlande, le 13 mai 1959,
à l'âge de 59 ans


Le père Michael SCULLY (1900 - 1959)

A Ballinamore (Irlande), le 13 mai 1959, retour à Dieu du Père Michael Scully, à l'âge de 59 ans.

Michael Scully naquit dans le diocèse de Clonfert (Irlande) en 1900. Il fit le serment en 1922 et fut ordonné prêtre en 1926. Le père Scully, en raison de sa faible santé, fut destiné à l'enseignement. Professeur à Wilton et Cork de 1926 à 1930, il partit ensuite pour la préfecture de la Nigeria Septentrionale, d'où il revint malade en 1931. Après quelques mois de repos, il put reprendre sa place à Wilton.

En 1937, le père Scully partit pour la Côte-de-l'Or (Ghana) comme professeur au collège Saint-Augustin de Cape-Coast. Il y resta trois ans. En 1942, c'est le collège Saint-Georges d'Héliopolis, en Egypte, qui le reçoit comme professeur. En 1947, le père Scully devient vice-supérieur à Wilton et, deux ans plus tard, sa santé étant plus affermie, il peut partir pour le vicariat d'Assaba, au Bénin, où il fait un séjour régulier et où il retourne même en 1955 après son congé. Il revient en Europe en 1957.

De faible santé et de caractère timide, le père Scully rendit service dans les divers postes qui lui furent assignés par ses supérieurs.


Father Michael SCULLY (1900 - 1959)

Michael Scully was born in Derrybrien, Co Galway, in the diocese of Clonfert, on 3 April 1900. He died at Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, on 13 May 1959.

Michael (Mick) studied for two years (1916 1918) in St. Joseph's college, Ballinasloe, Co Galway (the diocesan seminary), before coming to the Society's college at Wilton, Cork, to complete his secondary education. In September 1920 he entered the Society's novitiate and house of philosophy, at Kilcolgan, Co Galway. He received his theological formation in the major seminary, at Blackrock Road, Cork (1922 1926). Mick was received as a member of the Society on 22 December 1922, and was ordained a priest, along with nine colleagues, by Bishop Thomas Broderick, vicar apostolic of Western Nigeria, in St. Joseph's church, Blackrock Road, on 23 May 1926. He was a member of the last class to study and be ordained in Cork. Henceforth the theological seminary was located in Dromantine, Co Down, while ordinations were held in St. Colman's cathedral, Newry.

Mick's health was never robust and after ordination his superiors decided that he would not be able for the tropics. Instead he was sent to teach in his former Alma Mater, St. Joseph's college, Wilton. He joined a staff led by John Corcoran which provided a three year senior secondary cycle for some 60 students. After four years, however, in 1930, it was felt that Mick had grown stronger and might now be able to take up a missionary appointment. Mick was duly assigned to the prefecture of Northern Nigeria. The mission to northern Nigeria had been pioneered in 1907 when three S.M.A. priests travelled to Shendam where they established a station. The prefecture of Northern Nigeria had been erected in 1929. William Porter was nominated first prefect apostolic in April 1930 and Mick was a member of a founding staff of twelve missionaries, seven of whom were Irish. On arrival Mick was appointed to Kano mission, which was also the headquarters of the prefecture. However within a year he was invalided home to Ireland where he received treatment for suspected tuberculosis. After some months of convalescence he returned to teach at Wilton. Mick combined his duties at Wilton with study at U.C.C. He was one of the first confrères to take a university degree, graduating in 1934. A year later, in 1935, he received his higher diploma in education.

In 1937, in better health, Mick went to the Gold Coast (now Ghana) with an appointment to teach in St. Augustine's college at Cape Coast. St. Augustine's, founded a year earlier, in 1936, was the first Catholic secondary school in Ghana. With his experience as an educationalist and his university qualifications it was no surprise that on arrival Mick was nominated principal of the school and superior of the four other priests on the staff. At the time there were approximately 100 pupils in the secondary college and some 80 students in a teacher training department attached to St. Augustine's. Mick spent three years at this assignment, winning the admiration of all for his qualities in the classroom. His administrative talents were equally recognised and for a period he served as 'visitor' of the mission, responsible to his Provincial for the spiritual and temporal welfare of his colleagues. In 1940 Mick's health again gave cause for concern, and he was transferred to the staff of St. George's college, Heliopolis, Egypt, in a more favourable climate. St. George's, known as the 'English' college (because English was the language of tuition), and later as the Anglo Copt College, was staffed almost exclusively by Irish priests.

In October 1947 Mick was appointed vice superior of St. Joseph's college, Wilton. Two years later, ready once more for overseas service, he went to the vicariate of Asaba Benin where he ministered until 1957. This vicariate, which became the diocese of Benin City in 1950, had originally been part of the vicariate of Western Nigeria, the first mission in Nigeria to be entrusted to the Irish Province. In the post war era Patrick J. Kelly, the vicar apostolic, was energetically developing secondary education in his jurisdiction. On his arrival in Nigeria (Mick travelled out by aeroplane on 5 November 1949), Bishop Kelly appointed him to the Sapele district with instructions to establish a secondary college in the nearby town of Aghalokpe. He spent a year building this new school, residing in Sapele. Mick's name will always be associated with this institution which was named after St. Peter Claver.

Mick returned to Ireland two years before his death. He spent his last days in the nursing home of the Sisters of St. John of God in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim; and it was here that he died. During his relatively short life Mick made a signal contribution to the work of the Society in many areas but especially that of education. He is particularly remembered by those members of the Society who were his students in Wilton. Mick was related to Michael Mahony and William Mahony, both members of the Society.

He is buried in Wilton cemetery.