Société des Missions Africaines –Province d'Irlande

DORR Patrick né le 25 mars 1907 à Foxford
dans le diocèse d'Achonry, Irlande
membre de la SMA le 8 juillet 1927
prêtre le 7 juin 1931
décédé le 19 août 1971

1931-1942 missionnaire au Nigeria, Lagos
1942-1946 aumônier militaire durant la guerre, Nigeria et Indes
1947-1950 missionnaire au Nigeria, Lagos
1950-1971 malade, en soins, le plus souvent à Cork
aumônier pendant quelque temps

décédé à Belfast, Irlande, le 19 août 1971,
à l'âge de 64 ans

Father Patrick Joseph Aloysius DORR (1907 - 1971)

Patrick Dorr was born in Foxford, Co Mayo (the family address was Providence Road, Foxford), in the diocese of Achonry, on 25 March 1907. He died at Montgomery house, Saintfield Road, Belfast, on 19 August 1971.

Patrick ('Pakie') was educated in the colleges of the Society. He studied in the Sacred Heart college, Ballinafad, Co Mayo (1920 1922), and St. Joseph's college, Wilton, Cork (1922 1925), before entering the novitiate and house of philosophy, at Kilcolgan, Co Galway. He studied theology in the Society's major seminary, at Dromantine, Co Down, from 1927 1931. Pakie was admitted as a member of the Society on 8 July 1927 and was ordained a priest by Bishop Edward Mulhern of Dromore diocese, at St. Colman's cathedral, Newry, on 7 June 1931. He was one of a class of twelve ordained on that day.

After ordination Pakie was appointed to the vicariate of the Bight of Benin which comprised territory which today forms the archdioceses of Lagos and Ibadan, the dioceses of Oyo, Ijebu Ode, Ekiti, Ondo and Ilorin, and the prefecture of Kontagora. A year before Pakie's ordination Francis O'Rourke had been appointed vicar apostolic and the vicariate entrusted to the care of the Irish Province. On his arrival in October 1931, Pakie was posted to Ijebu Ode mission, where he was introduced to the missionary life, learning Yoruba, studying local customs and undertaking supervised pastoral work. After six months Pakie passed his language and 'canonical' examinations and received faculties to hear confessions. He was then posted to Ibonwon mission for nine months before returning to Ijebu Ode.

In June 1934 Pakie was appointed to Holy Cross cathedral mission, in Lagos, the oldest mission in Nigeria, established in 1868. He joined a staff led by Jean Grando, a French member of the Society and which included Lawrence Layode (a Nigerian priest ordained in 1929), and Patrick Donoghue. Holy Cross was perhaps the busiest mission station in all of the Society's Nigerian missions, with a catholic community of over 10,000 members and 800 catechumens, numerous schools, sodalities, a refuge for the elderly, a convent with girls boarding school, and three large secondary stations. Pakie went to Ireland on his first home leave in July 1937. On his return to Nigeria a year later he resumed his duties in Holy Cross, where Pat Hurst was now superior. In 1940 Pakie was appointed superior of Yaba mission, which was the 'fourth principal station' of Lagos district, founded in 1936 under the patronage of St. Patrick. Among his many duties here was pastoral care of the government leper settlement.

As the scale of the second world war increased Nigeria became involved, with a West African Brigade being formed, consisting mainly of Nigerian and Ghanian troops. Since many of these troops were Christians, their military commanders approached Church authorities for chaplains. The Society's missionary bishops sought volunteers and many priests came forward, one of whom was Pakie. He joined the West Africa Brigade as a chaplain early in 1942, spending his first six months in Nigeria, thereafter serving in Burma and in India (Madras). He was demobilised in 1946, returning to his mission in April 1947. Four years earlier the vicariate had been re shaped, with the detachment of a number of mission districts, and had also been renamed as 'the vicariate of Lagos'. In 1950, with the erection of the Nigerian hierarchy, it was to become an archdiocese. When Pakie returned, the vicar apostolic, Leo Hale Taylor, posted him to Ebute Metta mission, which was the 'third principal station' of Lagos district, a well established mission, founded in 1900 under the patronage of St. Paul. Ebute Metta was also the location of the vicariate's library and printing press which produced the Nigerian Catholic Herald. Pakie served here with Tom Deeley and Patrick Fitzsimons. In 1949 Pakie was re assigned to Holy Cross mission, which now had a catholic community of almost 17,000 members.

In December 1950 Pakie fell seriously ill (from dropsy and a liver ailment) and his doctors decided he should go home to Ireland. Shortly after sailing Pakie's condition worsened and he had to be taken off the ship at Freetown. He eventually arrived in England on 17 January 1951, entering the tropical department of Liverpool Royal Infirmary. He was later transferred to St. Stephen's hospital, Dublin and, in June 1951, to the Bon Secours hospital, Cork. In September he was sufficiently well to go to his home in Foxford returning to Cork in May 1953 where he underwent a thorough medical examination. He was found to be making a good recovery but would need a further eighteen months before being fit for duty.

However he subsequently had a number of relapses requiring hospitalisation and it was only in June 1955 that he returned to Blackrock Road. In March 1956 Pakie took up a part time chaplaincy with the Alexian Brothers, at Cobh, Co Cork. In July, encouraged by the experience, he accepted a chaplaincy with the Alexian Brothers, at Mount Saint Columb's, Warrenpoint, Co Down. In 1967 Pakie's health again deteriorated and he retired from the active ministry, remaining on in Warrenpoint under the care of the Brothers. In August 1971 he was diagnosed as having a terminal illness and entered Montgomery house nursing home in Belfast. Pakie's nephew, Donal Dorr, and his first cousin, P.J. Dorr, became members of St. Patrick's Missionary Society, Kiltegan.

He is buried in Wilton cemetery.