Imprimer

Société des Missions Africaines –Province de Grande-Bretagne

horan john né le 15 juillet 1921 à Glasgow
dans le diocèse de Glasgow, Grande-Bretagne
membre de la SMA le 2 juillet 1944
prêtre le 13 juin 1948
décédé le 13 janvier 1989

1948-1949 Wilton, études supérieures

1949-1953 missionnaire au Nigeria, préfecture de Kaduna
1954 Ballinafad, professeur
1955-1987 missionnaire au Nigeria, archidiocèse de Kaduna
1987-1989 Blackrock Road, Cork, retiré

décédé à Cork, Irlande, le 13 janvier 1989,
à l'âge de 67 ans


Father John Mary HORAN (1921 - 1989)

John Horan was born in Glasgow, in the parish of St. John's, on 15 July 1921. He died in the Bon Secours hospital, Cork, on 13 January 1989.

John was baptised in Glasgow but was raised in Co Mayo in the Mulranny/Newport district. He received his secondary education at the Sacred Heart college, Ballinafad, Co Mayo (1936 1939) and at St. Joseph's college, Wilton, Cork (1939 1942). John was a student at a time when university trained graduates were in demand to staff secondary schools and teacher training colleges in Nigeria and the Gold Coast (Ghana). Both territories were then British colonies and at the time government was planning to make substantial subsidies available to voluntary agencies for secondary education in the post-war era. In order to avail of the new opportunities and meet the demands of the missionary bishops the Irish Province began to take measures to provide selected students with the required training. Thus it was that having taken his leaving certificate John was retained a further year in Wilton during which he attended lectures in philosophy and education at U.C.C. He entered the S.M.A. novitiate and house of philosophy, at Kilcolgan, Co Galway, in the autumn of 1942. During the following two years, while making his novitiate, he completed his arts degree course at U.C.G., graduating in 1944. On 2 July of the same year he became a member of the Society. He commenced his theological formation in the Society's seminary at Dromantine, Co Down, in the autumn of 1944, and was ordained a priest by Bishop Eugene O'Doherty of Dromore diocese, at St. Colman's cathedral, Newry, on 13 June 1948. He was one of a group of fourteen ordained on that day.

After ordination, residing in the Provincial headquarters at Blackrock Road, John completed his academic formation, obtaining a higher diploma in education from U.C.C. (1948 49). John was then assigned to the prefecture of Kaduna, in northern Nigeria, which had been established in 1934 under Thomas Hughes. John was to spend his first tour of duty teaching in St. Malachy's teacher training college, Minna, which was then under the principalship of William Mahony (later bishop of Ilorin). In 1954 John was appointed to teach at the Sacred Heart college, Ballinafad, which had been promoted to the status of a full secondary school in 195l. After a year he was re assigned to Kaduna which had recently been erected a diocese under Bishop John McCarthy and was to become an archdiocese in 1959. There he returned to the staff of St. Malachy's.

In early 1959, John was appointed to recruit and commence the work of training Grade Two teachers for the diocese. For one year he lived and worked at this task in St. John's college, Kaduna city, while buildings were being erected at Basawa, Zaria. For the next twenty years he headed this new venture, first known as St. Enda's teacher training college, Zaria and which later, from 1972, when it came under the direct control of the Kaduna state government, was known as Basawa government teachers college. As head of this important institute, which along with St. Malachy's, provided teachers for the ever-growing number of boys elementary schools in the archdiocese, he discharged his responsibilities in an unusually mild and gentle fashion and with signal success.

The last years of his life in Africa were spent in the full time pastoral ministry at St. Mary's church, Samaru, Zaria. His dedication and his sympathetic concern for the people he served won for him their deep personal affection. Also, he made great efforts to minister to the several scattered catholic Hausa/Maguzawa communities in the Giwa area. He endured great hardship in this apostolate, travelling long distances over the roughest bush tracks, at a time when his health was beginning to fail. The destruction by anti Christians fanatics of St. Mary's house and church, along with the property of the other Christians Churches, was all the more painful for John who had established good relationships with many Muslims. In spite of the trauma, and of his recurrent illnesses, he struggled on. For a short time, he accepted the kind hospitality of a Lebanese family, but, very soon, he continued his ministry to the catholic community at Samaru from Christ the King church where he lived with Dan O'Brien.

John spent the last two years of his life in declining health at Blackrock Road. Even during these years of suffering he won all hearts, with his quiet disposition, and his ability to tell or to enjoy a joke. He was well read in liturgical matters and was prepared to share his knowledge. He was also a fine Irish scholar.

He is buried in Wilton cemetery.